Monday, November 14, 2011

The Pleasure of Temptation

(Cartoon resource www.aliveandyoung.net/2009/08/garden-temptations)


My pattern is always the same: The mere thought of chewing on something sweet and I become orally fixated. Needy.

Temptation.....

I must put something sweet on my aching tongue or I'm convinced it will wither. I fantasize about donuts and ice cream and cookie dough for a second, and visualize going to the grocery store to buy whatever I want.

Temptation....

I ditch that idea and consider what's available immediately: A chocolate bar, chocolate chips or my husband's pint of ice cream.

Temptation....

The more I fantasize how satisfying it's going to be, the more the momentum builds. As I scan cupboards, fridge and freezer the momentum speeds up. When I make my decision to take the chocolate bar and have my way with it, the momentum is unstoppable. Minutes later I have regret and begin the pattern of self-deprecating.

If I had stopped the pattern of thoughts from the beginning, I could have stopped the initial momentum.

I discovered this on Saturday. Friday was my last day of work in an office, and I decided it was time to go without sugar again. Saturday.

It's now Monday, almost noon, and I haven't had an issue with cravings. I decided to ignore them. I've also created a BF (Bitch Fit!) book to log any and all thoughts, feelings and cravings. It sits on my kitchen counter. I hope to identify more emotions/situations that lead me to desire sweets.

In the meantime, I'm abiding by the AHA's daily recommended added sugar quotient, which is 6 teaspoons for women, 9 for men. I will only be eating non-refined sugars like maple syrup, honey and dried fruit but no more than 6 teaspoons a day. So far, so good.

My goal is to someday crave only whole foods, you know, the kind nature intended.



More thoughts on Temptation: 

Wikipedia defines temptation as: "...A temptation is an act that looks appealing to an individual. It is usually used to describe acts with negative connotations and as such, tends to lead a person to regret such actions."

Some proverbs, quotes and other verses describing temptation:

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us...."

"Good habits result from resisting temptation."

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it," Mae West.

"Temptation is the fire that brings up the scum of the heart," Shakespeare

No comments: