Friday, March 6, 2009

Peanut Butter Rice Crispie Treats

After looking through a million different sugar-free rice crispie recipes, I decided to venture out on my own and use ingredients I already had in the pantry.

These treats are delicious. They are nice and chewy with a balanced blend of sweet and salt.

Peanut Butter Rice Crispie Treats

1/2 C. peanut butter
1/2 C. brown rice syrup
1/2 C. honey
1/4 C. organic, non-hydrogenated shortening (or butter)
a couple dashes of finely ground sea salt
5-8 C. brown rice sweetened rice crispies (the brand I found is called "Erewhon")

Melt first four ingredients in large pot. Stir until bubbly. Add salt. Take off stove and add as many rice crispies as you want. For chewier consistency, don't add as much. For a little drier treat, add more crispies. I eyeballed it, but used almost an entire, 10oz. box of rice crispies. Press into a greased 9x13 pan. They are tasty right away, but even better the next day after they've set.

These are perfect for your sweet tooth, and easy to cut into small pieces for travel.

5 comments:

Audrey said...

Sounds like a yummy recipe! I was excited to find your blog, I actually saw it in the paper last week. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and know I need to do something about it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy said...

These do sound good! I am very inspired by your commitment to go without sugar! This is definitely something I've been wanting to try, but haven't yet. Thanks for the recipes and the ideas.

My Year Without said...

Audrey-
These are so good that I have been having trouble eating only one square at a time. I usually eat three. Darn! Something too good!

The sea salt adds a kick at the end of each bite that I love. I might even add a dash more next time.

Megan said...

Ohhh these sound wonderful! I'll be trying them tomorrow! Thanks :)

Audrey said...

I tried the recipe yesterday...they were good! I would probably add a little more sea salt, too.

I'm linking you on my site, hope that's okay!