Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Nothing Cookies

My sweet tooth went out of control tonight. Maybe my cravings started earlier in the day but I was too busy to think about it. Well, at some point I jumped up from what I was doing to go make cookies. My first thought was snickerdoodles. I recently had one eaten right under my nose and it honestly seemed wrong for me to just sit by and let that good cookie go. I had to though, because it had sugar. It was loaded with sugar. That was when I decided that next time I'm in the mood for baking, I will make snickerdoodles and substitute date sugar for white refined sugar.

It seemed like a good idea, but here is what happened:

I pulled out the few ingredients needed to make cookies and started by creaming the egg, date sugar and organic, non-hydrogenated shortening. Things were not looking so good. Instead of a "whipped" consistency, these three ingredients became tough. I decided to switch to a chocolate chip cookie recipe so that I could add vanilla. I added vanilla, some baking soda and then white flour (I know, I know...).The cookie dough still seemed rather stiff and tough, so I opted to add some water to smooth things out, and then more vanilla for taste. I realized this was not going to be a chocolate chip cookie recipe for several reasons, one of which is that I do not have any grain-sweetened chocolate chips at home right now. At this point I added a little sea salt here, a splash more of vanilla there, and then sent it through the mixer for a few more rounds. I tasted the dough and it was so-so. It left a pretty nice aftertaste though, so I went ahead and put some doughy spoonfulls on a cookie sheet.

When they were done baking, I had to smack each one of them with a spatula so that they were flat cookies instead of the biscuits that they looked like otherwise. After they cooled I bit into one and was pretty surprised how nice and chewy they turned out. The flavor is hard to describe, but I could taste the vanilla and sense the presence of salt. They were dark brown because of the date sugar. That is another reason I could not go through with making them snickerdoodles. Snickerdoodles are typically white colored with a light sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top. My cookies were a dark brown and would not pass for a snickerdoodle. I will have to wait for 2009 to eat a snickerdoodle.

In the meantime, as I bite into another cookie, I have to say it's pretty darn good for a no-name, date sugar and shortening blend. It provides the sweet chewiness that is ultimately what I am craving when my sweet tooth acts up. Here's to a no-name, made-up cookie!

Nothing Cookies

1 C. organic shortening
2 eggs
1 and 1/3 C. date sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp vanilla
3 tsp water
1/2 or 1 tsp sea salt
flour (I did not even come close to measuring this. Just add enough so that the consistency is similar to chocolate chip cookie dough)

Cream together shortening, eggs and date sugar. Add other wet ingredients and then stir in the dry. Scoop into spoon-sized drops on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 7 minutes or so. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. You certainly have an interesting blog, and an interesting mission! I think I might try your cookies and see if they do the trick.

Rose said...

I just spent the last hour reading your blog. I have been trying for years to quit sugar. I've spent $14,000 on dental work in the last three years (combination of sugar addiction and severe dental phobia that kept me from the dentist for years, I have have to be put out for dental work!) After falling off the no-sugar wagon over the summer (it was so bad I ate my first candy bar in over a year, that's how far I fell off the wagon!) I quit sugar (again) over a week ago. I have gone 1 week 3 days without sugar. I am determined to do it this time. I have to. Your blog is truly helping me, I have searched online many times for info. on quitting sugar the last few years and this is the first time I've come across your blog. Just wanted to let you know I'll be reading and staying off sugar! I even got through taking my two little boys trick or treating without wanting any candy, so I think I'm finally on the right track again. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow too, so whatever cavities that are there will hopefully be my last. So anyways, thanks for such an awesome blog, I think it will really help me stay off it this time. One of my issues is that I'm not a fan of vegetables. Hopefully I can change my tastebuds. Thankfully my kids are way healthier than I am, like more veggies than me, and my youngest has never had a cavity! At least they won't have to deal with sugar addiction and dental woes!

My Year Without said...

Thank you both for your comments.

That is so cool that you are dedicated to staying off of sugar, Heather! It can be hard to do, but so much more rewarding than actually eating sugar! Your comments were so inspiring--you are an example of the very reason I started a blog to begin with! I hope to inspire others to quit eating sugar and to instead, look at all of the natural alternatives!

Now that I'm in my 11th month of going without sugar, I can say that even though I sometimes still get sugar cravings, they are less severe and easily satisfied with a cup of tea with a drop of honey. It is basically so easy to stay away from sugar at this point. I don't want to ruin my streak!

As far as cavities go, I have done research (both online and talking to dentists) and have found that though sugar does cause cavities, some people are more likely to develop cavities than others, due to the acidity of their mouths. Just to let you know, I usually get a bad report when I go to the dentist, too. No matter how much I brush and floss and rinse, I seem to always have one or two cavities. My new goal is to try to neutralize the acidity in my mouth by:
* drinking water
* rinsing with baking soda
* checking my pH with litmus paper (found at health food stores or ordered online.)
Ask your dentist about the acidity factor, and what you can do to help.
My husband eats candy, chocolate and ice cream all the time and he has never had a cavity in his life! Some people are just lucky in this respect!
Good luck with your dental appointment, and keep in touch. I would love to know how you are doing with the sugar thing.