Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Healthy Dark Chocolate Fudge

This fudge is amazing, and I don't like fudge. I was a little hesitant to use my expensive, high quality ingredients on a practice run, but after looking closely at the ingredients, how could this recipe be anything but wonderful? For those of you sweet-a-holics who haven't kicked your sugar habit yet, keep in mind that although the flavor of this fudge is intoxicating, it is not very sweet. It is definitely sweet enough for me, but the average fudge you would buy at a bake sale is much, much sweeter and perhaps why I don't care for regular fudge.

I would almost label this fudge gourmet. The ingredients are not cheap, and the taste is absolutely exquisite. Someone sent me the recipe, but like I usually do, I altered the ingredients a bit. I froze it overnight and this morning wandered sleepy-eyed to the freezer in anticipation. In combination with my dark roast coffee, the fudge was the most elegant taste sensation I've ever experienced so early in my day. Here is the catch...it's healthy. Check out the ingredients and see for yourself. The original recipe I received did not call for any sweeteners. I halved the coconut oil portion and added some brown rice syrup instead. This recipe is quick and easy and worth the expensive ingredients.

(DISCLAIMER: I repeat, this fudge may only be delicious to those whose palates have given up white sugar. People who are still addicted to sugar have tried it and many think it is much too bitter...and it is, for their sweet tooth. Just a caution for those of you who still need your treats excessively sweet. For those of you who have kicked the white sugar habit, I have confidence that you will enjoy!)

Gourmet Dark Chocolate Fudge
1 C. almond meal (or grind your own almonds in a food processor)
1/4 C. organic, virgin coconut oil, melted (put the coconut oil jar in a glass of hot water for easy melting)
1/4 C. brown rice syrup
1 C. pure cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 C. raisins, soaked
5-6 tblsp. water from raisin soak

Place raisins in small bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak 5-10 minutes. Do not drain. Spoon out the raisins and save the water for later.

Get your blender or food processor ready and add: almond meal, coconut oil, brown rice syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla. Blend well. Add raisins and a couple tablespoons of water from soak. Blend again. Add enough water to get your desired consistency. Mixture should be thick like cookie dough and may have to be stirred intermittently and then re-blended until smooth.

Transfer to small glass pie pan, pressing down to get an even layer. Refrigerate or freeze.

Grab your partner or call a friend, make a pot of coffee and enjoy with a piece of fudge!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have a very similar recipe which is to die for! Mine uses maple syrup as a sweetener. Glad to find your blog!

Jenn said...

That sounds really awesome -

btw, on my monitor (using Firefox) the "Post A Comment" link is white-on-white and I had to highlight the text on the page to see where it was...

My Year Without said...

Rebecca, is your fudge almost so dense with cocoa powder that it is not very sweet/borderline bitter? I love my recipe, but I had a sugar addict try it and she did not like it at all because it was not sweet enough. I wonder if my palate has changed too much to identify with what is considered the "norm"?!

How much maple syrup do you use?

Jenn, I'm sorry that you had a tough time finding the comment link. I wonder if your computer is not showing all the color that is on my blog? My "post a comment" is white type but on a dark background...hmmmm. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Jenn said...

Looks like an HTML issue - if you messed with your template, that happens in blogger.

I checked on MSIE - both MSIE and Firefox show a white background and light text for those links.

This is both on my home and work machines...

Jennifer - GlutenFreeLA said...

Yummmm!!! This sounds amazing... can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Have you ever added nuts to your fudge? I'm not much of a raisin fan but LOVE that dark chocolate-not too sweet flavor and would like to try.

My Year Without said...

Michael-I have not tried nuts...but I imagine it would be delicious. I picture walnuts..... The raisins add a little texture, sweetness and mild flavor. You could probably substitute with dates or even dried cherries. Let me know what you try.