Saturday, May 30, 2009

Peanut Butter Pudding: Sugar-Free of Course!

I have a gigantic stack of books on my bedroom floor. More than half of them are recipe or health-related. Yesterday I sat down and grabbed all of the recipe books, most of which are sugar-free specific. I happened upon some incredible recipes, one of which I tried out last night. It sounded so good and so strange. I had never thought about peanut butter pudding before. I am not a huge pudding fan-I like chewy or crunchy foods-but my interest was piqued. After letting the finished product chill, I tried it. Delicious! It was incredibly smooth and rich, and sweet, too! Keeping in mind that my palate has evolved over the past year and a half, it may not be to par with everyone's fancy, but it sure satiated my sweet tooth.

Speaking of my old arch enemy, my sweet tooth, it has been dormant for the past several weeks. If I eat something sweet it's because I'm enjoying the moment. I haven't had a killer sugar craving in quite some time. I spent 8 days in Washington, D.C. and never had a craving. I admit that sometimes after a large dinner meal I will think about ice cream or fresh cookies. But my tendency to do this is waning. Big time.

As strange as it sounds, this pudding recipe is actually really good. The thickness and creaminess of it is my favorite part:

Peanut Butter Pudding
1 small ripe banana
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I use Nancy's, which is sugar-free, vanilla and delicious)
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process first on low speed, then on high until smooth. Pour into four individual serving dishes and refrigerate. Serve cold. Serves 4.

Suggestions or alterations to this recipe? I can imagine it in between layers of dark chocolate....

Enjoy!

Recipe source: Get The Sugar Out by Ann Louise Gittleman, pg. 212

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I tried this tonight using coconut yogurt! It's absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to experiment with it in a pie with chocolate :-)

Amy said...

Mmmm, that sounds good. And you know what, I just love recipes with a limited number of ingredients. Short and simple. I am going to try this today! I will sub vanilla soy yogurt for the regular yogurt and vanilla extract because that's all I have.

My Year Without said...

Mrs. Bug-Coconut yogurt sounds delicious! I actually haven't seen that, but will keep my eyes peeled. I thought of making a pie with the pudding, too!

Amy-I love simple recipes, too. I bet the soy yogurt works just as well. I love how easy it is to substitute different ingredients.

Jamie said...

I keep a vegan house, so regular yogurt was out for me, and i really hate soy yogurt. The coconut yogurt has been a god sent, and my local regular grocery store carries it now!
http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/coconut_yogurt.html
Every flavor i've tried has been excellent. It is high in fat because it's coconut, but it's good fat. The coconut ice cream is heavenly too!

Lisa said...

This sounds fantastic! I can't wait to try it out.

Btw, thanks for your comment on my blog. I always love hearing what readers have to say because it's an opportunity for me to learn something. Glad I found your blog! Great stuff here, I'm looking forward to more!