Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Oh Sure, Sugar's Not Addictive: I'm Just a Raging Zombie Having a BF!

I become a zombie robot when a sugar craving hits:

1. Glassy-eyed and salivating, I venture into the kitchen and peek in all cupboards, the fridge and the freezer. I look behind cans, cartons and boxes hoping to find the perfect solution to my craving. Dried cranberries, prunes, naturally-sweetened cookies or even the perfect tea. If I'm lucky.

2. Upon finding nothing that appeals, I exit the kitchen in hopes of distracting myself.

3. Unless I've found something really engaging, I typically wander back into the kitchen and hope to find something that I missed the first time.

4. Repeat.



Needless to say this routine has got to stop. My mouth has got to stop dictating my actions. My brain and willpower are stronger than this, aren't they? What on earth propels me to shut off my brain and re-enter the kitchen over and over again? It's not like a little fairy flew in and sprinkled magic fairy dust on my prunes turning them into Oreos. The worst thing is, I'm not even hungry.

So, I created a solution.

The miracle is, it's working.

I made a Bitch-Fit (BF) Book. I labeled a notebook and set it on the kitchen counter. When I have a craving I go right to the book and write. I mean, write! Everything I am feeling, wanting and needing. I write anything and everything that comes to mind. By the time I'm done leaning against the counter writing, my craving has dissipated. I write until "it" is out of my system. Some entries are so passionate and desperate that my writing is hardly legible. I'm usually exhausted by the time I put the notebook down.

But it's working. 

I highly recommend it. If you create your own BF book, please let me know how it works for you.

Disclaimer: Last night for some reason (where I'm at in my cycle?) even though I wrote in my BF book I felt like if there were a pint of Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream I would have eaten it. That's one reason I don't keep food like that in the house. 


Image found at: http://www.librarything.com/topic/44157

No comments: