Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Sugar-Free Streak of Genius

Today I had a random streak of genius. It lasted 4 minutes. It seemed like all at once dozens of ideas just hit me over the head and some of them gained favor and momentum in a short amount of time. When the streak ended, I wondered to myself where it came from. Immediately I focused on what I was doing in the moment and decided to back-track my morning. As soon as I finished my workout, I ran downstairs and wrote all my ideas down so I wouldn't forget them. I don't know if they will ever become anything more than ideas, but after reading about Leonardo Da Vinci's genius, I believe it's important to at least write the ideas down.

When the free-flowing thoughts started, I was walking on the treadmill at the steepest incline, sweating like crazy and listening to Motorcycle's song. (Cheesy video here, but the song helps to rock my workouts). Before I began my workout I had a healthy breakfast:
  • "Cheesy Spinach Squares": organic eggs from my local CSA farmer, local greens (kale, broccoli raab, radish greens, spinach) mixed into my eggs with organic cheese (recipe below...it's AMAZING)
  • Piece of "Nature's Bake" raisin toast with almond butter (crusts go to the dog)
  • One cup of coffee
  • Several cups of water
  • One chlorophyll capsule (more on how chlorophyll has changed my life....later...!)
  • Two fish oil caps
Then, to back up to the very first thing I did this morning, I dragged myself out of bed (it's miserable here--so gray--so rainy--no sunshine for days) and picked up my book, Dune. My new favorite routine is to get up and settle somewhere cozy with Dune and my coffee. It's pure heaven.

Anyway, how does all of this relate to sugar? I have no idea! I would like to think that because I've eliminated sugar I will have more moments of genius and motivation. I would love to directly link my sugar-free diet to my fantastic morning, but I don't know. All I can say is that I had a great morning AND I don't eat sugar!

Now, for the best, easiest, comfort breakfast you will ever have if you eat eggs and dairy:

Cheese & Spinach Squares
1/4 C. butter
3 eggs
1/2 C. millet flour
1/2 C. quinoa flakes
1 C. nonfat milk
1 tsp. sea salt
1tsp. baking powder
1lb. grated cheese
4C. chopped greens (broccoli raab, kale, spinach...whatever you have!)

Spread melted butter in a 9x13 pan. Beat eggs. Add flour and flakes, milk, salt and baking powder. Add cheese and greens, mixing well. Spread into pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Cut into squares. Freezes well in zip-locks.
Note: The original recipe called for one cup flour. I used the half cup millet flour and half cup quinoa flakes instead. It's amazing and no one will know that you didn't use flour!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is really inspiring (plus I love you have recipes!). I just started reading your blog from the beginning, I have a years worth of catching up to do.

Adding you as a link on mine!

Sylvia said...

That recipe looks great!

My Lady Blog said...

Thank you for these recipes. Looks great!