Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Strange & Tasty Snack: Seed-Filled Nori Roll

I used to spend $1.99 for each package of Nori rolls, containing two, thin rolls. Delicious--but I figured I could make them myself.

Oh, yes.

Easy, delicious snack food....I've "used" them in the face of extreme sweet tooth moments and they deliver the chewy, filling satisfaction that I ultimately crave.

I don't love seaweed. I would never eat it by itself. However, as a wrap with hidden flavors bursting from inside, it's more than tolerable. It's really good. The lemon is everything in this salty, sour snack.

To make these, I looked at the ingredients on the wrapper and ascertained how much of each to use. Feel free to toy with it yourself, but here is how I did it:

Healthy Nori Rolls


several sheets of Nori
2-4 sun dried tomatoes (I used the dry kind, so I don't know how the sun dried tomatoes soaking in oil would work...probably fine...)
1/2 C. sunflower seeds
1/4 C. sesame seeds
1/2 lemon
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
sea salt

I chopped up the sun dried tomatoes after leaving them out all day. (If you use them directly out of the package, they are extremely hard and difficult to cut) I cut them into tiny pieces and set aside. In a food processor I ground up both seeds and added them to the bowl of sun dried tomatoes. Then I added the nutritional yeast and squeezed fresh lemon juice to make the mixture stick together somewhat. Sprinkle a little sea salt to your liking.

I then used the lemon juice to wet the Nori sheets (or lightly dampen with water...but don't soak the Nori sheets or it will all curl up) and I put the seed mixture at one end of the damp sheet and rolled it up tightly.



Seal the end of the sheet with a damp finger to stick the Nori together.

I refrigerated these and ate them for the next few days. They are good and filling. There's nothing I love more than a super healthy, delicious snack.



Enjoy!

3 comments:

beckiwithani said...

These sound so good! I will try them. Thanks!

BitterSweet said...

Sounds a lot like the raw sushi we make at work... Very tasty, and a fun change of pace from the typical rice-filled sort. I'll have to try your version next time!

Amy said...

Mmm, that sounds good - I love rolling up lots of raw veggies in nori sheets, filling and virtuous!