Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Real Threat to Americans

Sometimes it's really good to see things in perspective.

Especially for those of you who tend to internalize information you see on the news. The media does not give a balanced perspective of what is going on in the world. If it did aim for perspective, it would perhaps show the following chart, night after night.

The fact is, information in this chart is not very entertaining and it certainly isn't what most people want to think about. It's much more exciting to talk about rare or unrealistic events because then we don't have to hold ourselves accountable for events that affect us daily. Well, here's to not passing the buck. Here's to facing reality and holding ourselves accountable:

5 comments:

Michelle said...

This is great. Thanks!

Angela said...

Thanks for visiting my blog in March. I'm so far behind on visiting the blogs of people who have come to mine that I just now got around to coming to yours.

Thanks for letting me know about the sugar free Mounds recipe. I have to be sugar free becuase of some health problems, so I'm very excited to find the recipes that you have up on your site. It's so hard to find recipes that don't have any of the stuff in it that I'm allergic to that are also sugar-free.

Amy said...

Great post - and so true! It is always amazing to me that people are so willing to take drastic measures but so unwilling to simply change what they eat, when it would have much more impact.

Valentine said...

Yeah, Americans wouldn't be so sick if they consumed less of the Golden Arches.

My Year Without said...

Michelle-You're welcome!

Angie-The recipes are worth the trouble and the spendy ingredients...it makes the end product more of a treat.

Amy-Yep, I think it's all about perspective.

Valentine-Here's a fact for you: In 2000, Mickey D's had 12,804 outlets...which says to me there is great demand for junk food. Yikes!