Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thank You Philly News!

(For a peek at the article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, click on THIS. It is the same article that was published in the Seattle PI--now it's available in Philadelphia.)

I have another confession.

It's about what my New Year's resolution was going to be this year. I was going to get really fanatical and give up not only sugar for another year, but all sweeteners. No honey. No molasses. No agave. No brown rice syrup or maple syrup. My plan was to get all of my sugar needs met through fruits and vegetables. It's possible! I'm guessing it's what the cave people did long ago.

However, the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a really bad idea. For several reasons. First of all, I'm finding that in conversations about nutrition, it's hard enough relating to people who are still eating sugar. My palate is from a different planet now, and for those who have to have sugar, my stories don't seem to make much sense. Secondly, being this fanatical might alienate me from other people. Who would I relate to? Lastly, I figure that it was hard enough to go without sugar. What would I be getting myself into if I gave up those sweeteners? They alone are what make going without sugar so easy! Why would I put myself in that kind of position?

We are so lucky that we have so many food/diet options here in our country. Or maybe this does not mean we are lucky. Maybe we are overwhelmed by it. I get really caught up in the smallest details of the quality of ingredients in foods. I feel like I need to lighten up. On that note, I don't feel like "I am doing" or "not doing" the sugar thing. Because I spent all of last year perfecting my relationship (or lack thereof) with sugar, it is not something I am doing. I would like to consider it my lifestyle. The no-sugar lifestyle. I don't like using words like "forever" because that is too long to commit to, but I can say that I now have a no-sugar lifestyle.

One of my favorite store-bought cookies are called "Traditional Spice Windmill Cookies" and they are made by Heaven Scent. Wow. Very crunchy, light and flaky. Very tasty. You would never guess that they are fruit juice sweetened only. I highly recommend that you try them. Click here if you are interested in knowing more. Then click on the "Windmill Cookies". They have a spicy, gingery flavor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on surviving the year and all of your recent success with this e-column. I'm sure you're a huge inspiration to a lot of people, myself included.

I think you're right in not giving up all things sweet entirely, but not necessarily for the social consequences that you mentioned. Your writings ultimately express your unyielding love for sweet foods, and it's really exciting and enlightening whenever you discover a non-toxic option. We need more productions of knowledge like yours.

I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep up the amazing work.

My Year Without said...

What an interesting angle you offer. I really like it and I guess there is no denying (even to myself) that I like sweet foods! I am dedicated to finding healthy alternatives to sugar, which I guess would be much harder to do if I threw all sweets out the window....

Thanks for the encouragement!