Thursday, January 15, 2009

Coke Sued for Fraudulent Claims

"Coke Sued for Fraudulent Claims on Obesity-Promoting VitaminWater"--To read the entire article about this class action lawsuit, click here.

This is very important information. I highly recommend that you read this. I will give you a brief synopsis of what this is about, but reading the entire article will shed more light on what is happening.

Basically, Coke has been promoting their product, VitaminWater, to be a healthy source of vitamins, using words like "defense" and "rescue" and "energy" and "endurance". The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has called Coke out for making deceptive claims. In case this is your favorite drink, check this out: there are 33 grams of sugar in each bottle, and between zero and one percent of actual juice, despite the yummy juice flavors labeled on the bottles like "grape" "kiwi strawberry" etc. You have been buying sugar water!

This is just one example of why it is so important to check the ingredients of products that you are buying.

ALWAYS CHECK THE INGREDIENTS!

Do not be fooled by a healthy label implied on the front of a product. The truth is, the label might be deceptive, but no matter what, the label has been created to sell you a product. Companies selling packaged foods are in the business of making money. Many of these companies could care less about your health. Grocery stores sell products that make themselves money, so even your local grocery store does not necessarily have your health in mind. If you are not sure, just walk through a grocery store and look at the products on the shelves. When it comes to the end of the month sales, the products that are high in demand (we as consumers have control over this by what we choose to buy and not buy!) will be stocked on the shelves again.

If in doubt as to what companies to buy from, which products are healthiest--buy fresh produce and/or ingredients to make your own food. If you do not have enough time to do this or to check ingredients in foods, consider re-examining your priorities. What we ultimately care about is what we end up doing. In my opinion, it is never a sacrifice to be sure that I am eating the right foods. If you know a health-nut, ask that person their opinion to save you some time.

I love what the Executive Director of CSPI says,
"My advice to consumers is to get your vitamins from real food. If you have reason to believe you have a shortcoming of one vitamin or another, perhaps take an inexpensive supplement. But don't seek out your vitamins in sugary soft drinks like Coke’s VitaminWater."
(-http://cspinet.org/new/200901151.html)

4 comments:

Kimberly Anne said...

Hi, I love the idea of your blog, I read Sugar Blues and have been doing much the same for my diet...by the way, I found you because of your post on Kimi Harris' blog. Please visit my blog and see my post today about Jeremy Pivens eating fish for 20 years...it is a video you must see.

Kimberly
www.hartkeisonline.com

Mindy said...

I used to drink this stuff after nearly every workout. That thought now gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Lisa Sargese said...

I like the way you say that if we don't have the time to read labels we better rethink our priorities. Better yet, buy bulk grains and fresh fruits and vegetables at your local organic grocer and be done with it! I'm moving toward doing just that. Thanks!

My Year Without said...

Kimberly-
Thanks for visiting! I also read Sugar Blues. After getting through that you don't have much of an appetite for sugar, eh?

Mindy-
How did the VitaminWater make you feel after your workouts? Did it perk you up or did you eventually have a crash? I usually have half a piece of fruit and some nuts after working out...and lots of water, of course.

Lisa-
Awesome diet agenda! Another option besides your local grocer is to find a CSA (community supported agriculture) farm where you can get your produce and support the farmer directly. I did this for the first time this summer and had so much organic produce that it forced me to eat healthier than I ever have in my life! Google CSA and your city and call a local farmer to find out more! Otherwise, of course your local organic grocer is the way to go! Thanks!