I tested the recipe last night and gave the little Mounds to several different people and they were a big hit! They are a perfect little disc size that will quench your sweet tooth. I think it would be hard to overeat them because they are so fatty and rich. Unlike cookies where you end up eating a handful straight from the oven, these little chocolate dreams are stored in the freezer to keep the coconut oil from melting, and somehow one is enough! I'm a pretty good judge about things like this because I rarely eat only one of something I love.
Preparing them takes only about 10 minutes, but there is some waiting/freezing time involved. From the time you begin, you will have a finished product in one hour. They are so good. Thanks to The Nourishing Gourmet for the recipe!
"Mounds" Frozen Candy Bars
1 1/3 C. unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 C. coconut oil (unrefined, virgin is best)
1/4 C. honey
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 C. sliced almonds
- Melt coconut oil and honey over low heat until just melted. Whisk to combine. Add almond extract and coconut flakes.
- Take a 12-compartment muffin tin and evenly distribute the almonds in each. Then evenly distribute the coconut mixture over each of those. Place in freezer on flat surface for 30 minutes.
- Next, you will prepare the chocolate:
1/4 C. honey
1 C. coconut oil
1 Tblsp vanilla extract
- Combine these ingredients in a 2-cup measuring glass and place in a pot of simmering water. Heat and whisk until everything is just melted. Remove from heat and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Take out the tin of frozen coconut and evenly distribute the chocolate mixture over it.
- Put back into your freezer and freeze until hard, about 30 minutes.
- To get them out after freezing, simply pop them out with a knife. Keep them frozen as they melt otherwise.