Friday, April 18, 2008

The Psychology of Sugar-Part Three



I AM CRAVING SUGAR TONIGHT LIKE NEVER BEFORE! ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT ARE JUICY, GREASY DONUTS AND THE CRUNCHY LITTLE SPRINKLES ON THE FROSTING THAT JUST MELT IN YOUR MOUTH!! WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?! I HAVE ALMOST COMPLETED FOUR MONTHS OF NO SUGAR--SO WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL???

I'm having a super immature tantrum and reminiscing my high school days of weekend slumber parties. Those were always about sugary treats, candy, and ice cream. My best girlfriends and I would take my mom's largest mixing bowl and we would make a "community" ice cream sundae. We'd top it with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, marshmallow creme, M&M's, peanuts and then whip cream. I have one old, tattered picture depicting that disgusting mix! We would sit around the huge green mixing bowl, each with a spoon, and eat as much as we could. At some point when it began to melt and look too runny, we would get grossed out and just eat the candy instead. Okay, I'm not feeling the same sugar craving that I was a few minutes ago. Just thinking about those times is enough for me. I can't help but wonder, though, if and when my sugar cravings will subside. If they are truly psychological at this point, will they ever go away? What sort of psychological substitute is there for sugar?

No comments: