Friday, January 4, 2008

Purple Soup

I made this soup intending to have a place to use my more hardcore vegetables. It turned out so delicious, that I had it for breakfast, too! I've never had soup for breakfast before. All night last night I kept thinking how excited I was to get up in the morning and reheat it. It made me wonder if I was sick--because why else would I eat something this incredibly healthy?
Here are the dirty details of my Purple Soup (cabbage turns it all purple)--oh, and I rarely measure when I cook, so this is a loose recipe and is easily varied.

Purple Soup:
Lots of water
Lots of salt
One big scoop of Miso
1/4 of a whole cabbage, cut up
1/2 of a bunch of kale, cut up
1 parsnip, unpeeled, cut up
1/2 turnip, cut up
1/4 purple onion, cut up
1 sweet potato, cut up
1 cup or so of orzo (pasta that looks like rice. you could just use brown rice)
1 cup of adzuki beans (use any beans you have!)
Let everything simmer for about 30 minutes or so. For crunchier vegetables, add them closer to the end. I used a lot of pepper and sea salt to season. The miso acted as a great base. Next time I might try V-8 juice (is it sugar free?) for added flavor. Purple Soup should last 3 or so days covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy with a piece of toast!

No comments: