Thursday, February 14, 2008

Craving Frenzy

I had a gigantic sugar craving yesterday. I went through all my cupboards, the refrigerator, and the freezer to no avail. No sugar-alternative could satisfy my sweet tooth. I looked at Jeff's chocolate chip cookie dough with envy. Why were the cupboards full of dark chocolate covered almonds and chocolate coated pretzels and organic chocolate bars? I knew I wouldn't give in but I felt angry every time I looked at those foods because I wanted them so badly. Jeff must have heard me running around the kitchen in a frenzy because he yells, "Take a giant bite of cottage cheese!" In my vulnerability I didn't even think about it. I just did as I was told. I took the biggest spoon I have and filled it with organic, non-fat cottage cheese from Trader Joe's. As soon as I had finished it, I instantly felt better. My craving disappeared. It was so weird.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I wonder why the cottage cheese satiated your desire for sugar? And how did Jeff know? And why are there so many evil temptations lurking in your kitchen? You have some major will power!

What do you think of Kashi proucts?

My Year Without said...

I have no idea why the cottage cheese thing worked! I don't like the idea of eating dairy products at all, but I keep a few organic types of cheeses in the fridge. This year I might have to depend on it. It may have acted as a placebo effect, or power of suggestion, though Jeff claims it used to work for him.
The reason why I have so much junk food still in my house is two-fold: if I only keep healthy foods and am not exposed to junk food and then go somewhere where I am exposed to junk food, it would be like a brand new temptation that I haven't dealt with. It's easier to be exposed to junk food every day--that way when I am at a friend's house, it doesn't look any more appealing. Also, the other reason I keep it on hand is because Jeff is not going without sugar. He likes to have chocolate and ice cream and other things on hand.
Lastly, I do enjoy Kashi products! Some of their cereals are great--however, if I remember correctly, some do have sugar. Some of their products used to taste kind of bland, but they have improved their recipes so now I enjoy most of what I try. It has been a while since I have shopped for their products, let me do that and I will let you know what I think.