Friday, April 16, 2010

Breaking News: Agave Allegedly Worse Than HFCS

Dr. Mercola states, "Many people interested in staying healthy have switched to agave as a safer "natural" sweetener. They want to avoid well documented dangerous sweeteners like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but are unaware that most agave is actually WORSE than HFCS."

Rather than copy and paste entire sections here, read the article on Huffington Post yourself. It's long but worth the read, and current. Published yesterday, 4-15-10.

Dr. Mercola must have read my previous post about agave....

3 comments:

Fig+Sage said...

Hi there!

I enjoy your blog and also have been avoiding refined sugar/HFCS for some time, however I'm not yet totally convinced that all agave nectar is bad. Like many things, doesn't the purity and processing have to do with the manufacturer?? The jury is still out on this issue for me. Thought I'd share some articles which take the other stance on the subject and find out what you think of them:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/agave-nectar/

http://coconutbliss.blogspot.com/2010/03/lets-talk-about-agave.html

Fig+Sage said...

And also...thank you for sharing this article! I read Dr. Mercola's first article, but its good read this follow-up. I also avoid agave as much as possible. Its always a good thing to be more conscious of what we put in our mouth and not to just believe the hype. :)

My Year Without said...

Fig + Sage- Thanks for the links! I think the on-going debate/discussion surrounding agave nectar is quite fascinating.

I think the information provided in each of the links is interesting. I just wish that each of them was not selling something!

Link 1, Dr. Group, who runs the Global Healing Center, has a list of products for sale, albeit, not having to do with agave...

Link 2, Coconut Bliss (my favorite ice cream in the world!) uses agave in each of their pints of ice cream.

I've posted it before, but will include the link again, to Dr. Nestle's brief comment on agave: http://www.foodpolitics.com/?s=agave+

Lastly, I would argue that any sweetener that does not offer any nutritional benefits would be better left alone. But alas, the sweet tooth is a force to be reckoned with!