Thursday, August 6, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

I made a mistake.

It's what I get for posting a recipe without trying it first.

I posted the Coconut Flour Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes before I made them, which is a personal pet peeve of mine. Sorry I didn't try it out first! However, when I made them the next day, I made a mistake. I actually forgot to put in the coconut flour. The funny thing about it is that I went out of my way to visit a health food store that I knew would have the coconut flour. I was so excited to try it for the first time. Perhaps I should have been concentrating on my recipe instead of bouncing back and forth between my puzzle and my kitchen.



I was high on coffee which is problem number one, and a little preoccupied trying to find Sumatra (where this particular coffee bean blend originates) on my world map, which isn't actually listed specifically on the puzzle.

I wondered why my cupcake batter was so runny, but figured it must just be different than what I'm used to.



Besides the batter being thin and runny, I was perplexed because I couldn't find my muffin tin. I finally discovered it in the freezer where I have been keeping my delicious Mounds bars. Almond Joys, really. Anyway, the only other muffin tin I have is for tiny little bite-sized muffins. I went for it.



Right before I poured the batter in the greased little muffin slots, I added my organic, frozen raspberries.



Trying to prepare minuscule muffin tins only 2/3 full was rocket science. Keep in mind at this point I still had no idea that I had left out the coconut flour.



I set the timer and sat back down to work on my puzzle. Several minutes later the most amazing fragrance reached my senses. I love the smell of chocolate baking. I was curious to see if the batter was spilling over the tiny muffin tin, so I checked on them. That's when I glanced on my counter and noticed my un-opened bag of coconut flour. My heart sank. The ingredients I used in this recipe are not cheap! I flitted about my kitchen trying to figure out what to do, and then let it go. It was too late, as the cupcakes had already risen quite a bit.

To my amazement, when the toothpick came up dry, I took them out of the oven and each one popped out of the tin easily. I had expected a runny mess.



When they had cooled just enough, I bit into one. Chocolate, raspberries and vanilla filled my mouth and it was perfectly chewy. The honey had caramelized a bit adding a candy-like, crunchy sweetness to the edges. They were divine. After three, I had to leave the kitchen and focus on my puzzle or I could have stood there all day eating each one slowly and decadently.



I plan on making this recipe again using the flour, but also plan on taking notes for how these turned out. I gave Jeff one to sample and after his first bite he said they were too bitter. He eats milk chocolate all day long, so his sweet tooth is calibrated towards much sweeter foods. After two or three more of the little cupcakes, however, he decided they were perfect.

1 comment:

Sizzle said...

I hate when I leave out an ingredient but it's good that you could still eat them. I don't like milk chocolate so I bet I would have enjoyed them even without the coconut flour. I am definitely still going to make these. I have raspberries in my freezer just waiting to be used!