Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How an M&M Made me Cry

I ate an
M&M

Yesterday

Whoops!

Since when
are there
M&M's
in my trail mix?

Since I forgot
I had
made
that bag of peanuts
into a mix
for my
husband
and
he ate all
but two
of the M&M's

It looked like
a bag
of salted
Spanish
peanuts

It was
a bag
of salted
Spanish peanuts

With
two
M&M's
left
hiding

I wasn't watching
as I emptied
handful
after
handful
of nuts
into
my
hungry
mouth

Then,
*SQUISH*
between
my teeth

Rotten peanut?

Within
seconds
the
taste of
M&M
made me
d
i
z
z
y
and
cry.

I collected
my spit
and
spat.

Held my breath
so as
not
to enjoy
the
rare flavor
in my mouth--

As I
spat
and
spat
and
spat.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I can't believe you are doing this. I am so interested. And I am sorry about that M & M

Faith, the Authoress said...

Aww, it's ok. When I did my Week as a Vegan, I ate a Gardenburger that I didn't know had cheese. It's the intent that really counts!

Joy's Journey in Weightloss said...

I have done this too. This is so hard. I am on day 115 of no refined sugar. I am planning on eating Christmas goodies on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Then, I will wait until next Christmas. Halloween was easy because I looked at the candy as an object. I am planning on the two day break from sugar abstainence. Don't beat yourself up. There is no sugar police. Chances are, you have eaten a hidden sugar that had much more sugar in it than the two M&M's. It does not mean that you have broken some promise. Also, having an all or nothing focus might lead to a backlash. Plan for your sugar treat.

L said...

Hey there! Definitely let me know if those natural sweeteners work--and don't worry about the M&M. What you're doing is so impressive!

My Year Without said...

Wow! You all are so much nicer than I am to myself. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I am still considering what to do for the first of the year....allow a little sugar binge, or stay on track...?! We'll see what happens.