Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Sugar Blues of the Mid West

Nothing but green fields of corn stalks, peppered here and there with gigantic metal silos. The interstate roars through peaceful little farm lands. The fields of corn move rhythmically, swaying slightly at their thin yellow tips, but the sky is clear blue. A hawk sits upon a tall, dead tree that was planted out of place in this farmer's field. Gigantic semi-trucks rage into the rear view mirror and then quickly change lanes to pass us on the left. We have been driving across America for 5 days, now. My supply of sugar-free goodies is dwindling in our little cooler! We found a Whole Foods Market nearby our hotel in Chicago, but that was 3 or 4 days ago. Since then, we have been in grocery stores where all the food is packaged! Even the fruit and vegetables! There is sugar in everything, here! My favorite thing to look forward to is coffee (which is apparently not popular here in the mid-west....it's hard to find and it's awful) and nuts found at gas stations! I'm looking forward to finding a farmer's stand along the road where we can buy fresh fruits. More soon-I have to go to the lobby here at the hotel and look over the little free breakfast they offer. I've made a habit of grabbing bananas and apples at these continental breakfasts, to stockpile for myself, and Krispy Kreme donuts for my husband so I can live vicariously through him.

4 comments:

GeonHui's Bakery said...

You've been tagged. You can check my blog for details!

J. Pannell said...

Hang in there! The Midwest is hard but I've been living a sugar-free life here (in Iowa) for six weeks now. Will you be coming through Iowa City? There's a FABULOUS Farmer's Market on Saturday morning where you'll find plenty of fresh fruits (lovely apples, blackberries, etc) and organic/wholefoods treats.

Also, I know you're traveling, but if you can get your hands on some sweetcorn it tastes, honest to goodness, like liquid sugar when you've been off sugar for a while. It's amazing.

Thank you for your blog. Nice to see a sister soldier in the war against sugar!

Meg said...

I received your comment on my blog, thanks for the compliment. The recipe to make your own Mighty Muffins is on my blog: http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/424152-guess-what-i-found-

These are the exact same ingredients as in the one's you buy in the store.

Meg said...

I haven't tried the chocolate hemp milk yet, but I love the vanilla. For my tea and coffee, I like Rice Dream original! I do get discouraged by the amount of sugar in milk substitutes too!