Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nana's Cookies and My Insatiable Sweet Tooth


I'm not sure who coined the term "sweet tooth", because it's not my teeth that crave the sweet stuff, nor is it my teeth that experience the total satisfaction of eating Nana's Ginger Cookie. My brain, my heart and my entire mouth are engaged in this euphoric trip. Currently, my tongue is a happy little monster as I devour this chewy cookie that bursts with flavors of cinnamon and ginger. I was preparing for a late-morning nap, when all of a sudden, I remembered that I had hid this cookie deep in the pantry for a special occasion. Today is a special occasion! I'll think of a reason why later.

I am sitting here writing and chewing at the same time. This is seriously one of the best cookies I have ever had. I am a cookie freak. I have been making cookies since my mom taught me how, sometime in my grade school years. I have been experimenting with ingredients and recipes ever since. Sometimes, though, the greatest treat is the one you buy and can eat right away. I usually don't save Nana's cookies. I usually tear into the bag right away. The last time I bought her cookies, I bought several (individually wrapped) and forgot about them. I kind of remember hiding them on purpose. I would find them when I really got the hankering for an instant rush of sweetness. There is nothing I love more than enjoying the sweet rush without the sugar. Fruit juice is the sweetener in these cookies, and the addition of rice flour makes them extra sweet and chewy.

So, where to find these cookie gems... Some Whole Foods stores carry them, but some do not. Here is Nana's Cookies phone number to call just in case: (800) 836-7534 and the website: http://www.healthycrowd.com/

2 comments:

Better Living Through Simplicity said...

On more than one occasion I have caught her (sitting in the dark) in the pantry nibbling on these cookies. She acts like she is getting away with something when it is actually sugar free! ~The Husband . . .

Methuselah said...

Had a look at the website - as cookies go, these are definately at the healthy end of the spectrum! But I don't even eat things like this anymore because although I know it is not as unhealthy, I also have a 'sweet tooth', which when indulged tends to give rise to binging. A theory I have heard and one I'll be posting about in the next couple of days, is that we never evolved to be able to moderate our consmption of sweet tasting foods (e.g. berries) because they were always so hard to come by for our ancestors that binging was not a problem....