Friday, October 30, 2009

Artisan Bread - Two For One


I experimented again.

This time, I split the giant mound No-Knead Artisan bread dough in two. To one I added cinnamon and raisins, and to the other I didn't do anything different. Except bake each one in a smaller ceramic pot.

They both turned out perfect, and when I want something a little more sweet, I go for the cinnamon bread, although it's not really sweeter, but I associate cinnamon with sweet so it seems sweeter.

These handy little loaves make perfect gifts, wrapped in a piece of material and tied with string, or just to put out when friends are over.

It would be just as easy to add olives or rosemary or pepper to the loaves, as well. The only thing I would do differently next time is to add these ingredients to the dough before it rises.

3 comments:

kitchensink said...

You have inspired me to try my hand at bread making. Did you use the whole wheat flour/white flour version? or all white flour?

My Year Without said...

After making my first loaf ever using the 1/2 white flour and 1/2 white whole wheat, I decided to try all three cups of flour white whole wheat. I don't know much about white whole wheat, but it bakes very similarly to white flour, but with the nutrients from whole wheat.....

I have not used just whole wheat, yet. I'm having such good results with the white whole wheat...!

Alisa said...

Whole wheat is definitely trickier than white whole wheat, but adding some gluten helps with the density a bit. Those loaves look great as is though!