Monday, April 21, 2008

The Psychology of Sugar-Part Four

I came across a website that addresses the psychology of food, a little bit. Here is a part I liked: "Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food Find ways to comfort , nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won't fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you into a food hangover. But food won't solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger will only make you feel worse in the long run. You'll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion, as well as the discomfort of overeating."
This comes from a website called intuitiveeating.com, based on a book that was written about eating intuitively. I like this idea a lot. Now I just have to be aware of what intuition is, versus what my brain may be justifying for my pleasure!

2 comments:

My Internet Presence said...

I have just discovered your site. I have had several aborted attempts at giving up sugar. Having started to read your posts I feel far more encouraged. I find it strange how sugar-related health problems seem to be covered more by alternative and holistic health sites as opposed to those that are government affiliated - well not to the same extent. The reason I have pursued abstention from the white stuff is my belief that my over - use of it has caused some of the health problems I have experienced. Anyway, keep at it!

My Year Without said...

Concerned--Have you tried eating sugar in moderation? Or saved it for one day of the week? Or, when you gave it up, did you replace your cupboards with natural sweeteners and fruits?
I've come to believe that it's not so much sugar, but the HUGE amounts of sugar in our diet that is the problem....
Thanks for sharing, and I hope you continue to be encouraged!