Monday, May 26, 2008

Do Not Be Deceived!



Don't be deceived by the clever terms companies use for sugar in their ingredients lists. Here are some common examples:
Evaporated Cane Juice
Raw Sugar
Dried Cane Juice
Organic Sugar
From my research, I have found that there are some minor differences between these products and white refined sugar, but in the end, it all comes down to sucrose, C12H22O1. Given that sugar spikes blood sugar, causes cavities, relates to a plethora of diseases, lowers the immune system and relates to diabetes, I'm not so sure that the differences in these types of sugars substantiate their intake. The biggest difference between these substances is their finish point in the refining process. Some do not go through chemical bleaching, repeated liquification and crystallization, or added chemicals. Also, organic sugar is grown (90%?) without the use of pesticides and herbicides. While there is integrity at these points, the fact is that these sugars still wage war on our bodies and immune systems. Don't be deceived! Another way to put it is, does our body require any product of the sugar refining process for health and wellness? I think most would agree that we would be better off without ingesting any product of the sugar refining process. The gamble we all take is eating something our body does not require.

Raw Sugar: Raw sugar is coarse, tan to brown-colored sugar (sucrose) which results from the first processing of cane or beet sugar. True "raw sugar" cannot be sold in the USA because it contains impurities such as soil, mold yeast, bacteria, and wax. When further processed to remove the impurities it is sold as turbinado sugar. --http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/nspired/sunspire/faq.d2w/report#gsweet

Evaporated Cane Juice:
is used more widely across the globe and is gaining currency as a euphemism for refined white sugar.

Dried Cane Juice/Organic Evaporated Cane Juice: http://www.certifiedorganicevaporatedcanejuice.com/
(Sorry to not give you my synopsis on this product. Are there molecular differences and health variables for choosing cane juice over white refined sugar? At this point, I am uncertain what the main differences are between these two products.)


2 comments:

Main Man said...

Awesome info, although I am totally bummed that my "good" choices in my coop are actually not much better (or the same) from a health perspective. Thanks for rooting out the euphemisms and shedding light on the truth about all of these "good" sweeteners." Stinks that even organic folks are not above making a buck on my sweet tooth.

Staci said...

Love it, love it. I agree with the previous poster though, that you have rained on my sugar parade! :)

In reality, we rarely use refined sugar. In fact, I just cleaned out the last of my (still-sitting-in-the-corner-of-the-pantry) stash of brown sugar and powdered sugar.

The only time we have refined sugar now is on the rare occasion that I splurge and buy pre-packaged gluten/casein free snacks. And thus the reason we keep that to a minimum!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I can't wait to go back and look at your archives. Keep up the great work and research!

Staci